Thursday, July 14, 2011

Who Killed Shondra May?


The haunting case of Shondra May is one that I, like so many others around here, would love to see solved.

According to Shondra's brother, Tim, February 4, 1986, was a cool rainy day, and after nightfall, on a rural dirt road in Scott County, Mississippi, three small footprints were found in the mud, outside 17 year old Shondra May's 1985 Isuzu I-Mark car, and then, after the last step, the footprints, like her, just vanished.  She was abducted 75 yards from her home.  Her car door was left standing ajar, and the only thing missing was her drivers license.

After 22 days of frantic waiting, on February, 26, 1986, Shondra's 18th birthday, her naked, raped, strangled, lifeless body, bound with packing tape (possibly the kind used in chicken houses) was found wrapped in black, plastic garbage bags,  floating in Baker Creek, near Bolton, Mississippi, by an off duty fireman. The fireman was paid a $5,000.00 reward for finding Shondra, and while according to the law, he did nothing wrong by accepting the award, my conscience says he should have said. "No thanks."  He happened to find her on her birthday, and her drivers license was missing.  Since he would have possessed a red light because he was an off duty fireman, I would not discount him as a suspect either.  

To this day, the date of death on her tombstone remains blank.  Authorities could not determine the exact time she was murdered, because her body was in the water for 3-5 days, and they believe she was murdered before being placed there, however, they believe she may have lived for around 17 days after her disappearance.

The last time Shondra was seen alive, was after she left her job at the local McDonald's, and went by the TG&Y store to buy an over sized Valentines Day Card.  The police found a time dated receipt for the card, but as far as I can determine, they did not find the card.


Someone claiming (and verified on websleuth's) to be Shondra's brother, Tim, believes that she knew her killer or killers, that they knew where she lived,  and that it was a cold, calculated murder. 

One of the suspects,  is a brother to a former school mate of Shondra's.  She suspects her brother, may have been involved in Shondra's murder, but because of family issues, some have discounted what she has to say.

W**** remembers Shondra as being a good student, a hard worker, and recounts how in the 5th and 6th grades they hung out.  "I had a rough childhood", says W****, "but Shondra seemed to come from a good home, and wasn't into drugs or anything.  Her and her brother Tim were both real sweet." 

"I remember the day she disappeared, me, Terri Sanders, and Christy Sanders were driving up to the school and parking in front of the gym, and coach Wolverton, wearing a school jacket, came out and said, "Shondra May did not come home last night."  "I was like, "OMG, what happened?"  

Before Shondra died, I remember sitting at the table with my brother, and he said, "What about Shondra May?" He was talking about girls to go out with, and I was probably talking about guys, and I was like, "She is not going out with you.", and he said, "Why not?"  I said, "Look at you, your disgusting!"  "That probably rubbed him the wrong way", she says, cause he was around 18 and had never had a girlfriend."

 "I was a teenager then, but bits and pieces have come back to me as an adult, that I find odd.  For instance, one day I walked into my mother's house and she was scrubbing everything in sight, including the phone, and the baseboards (that was abnormal for her), and my mother said to me, "If a girl got raped, it was her fault for doing what she was doing."  

W**** also recalls another instance about that time, when her brother and some friends invited her over to their house.  Her brother had a friend whose father worked as a supervisor for the county.  W**** says they took her outside, and showed her a van that was parked in their yard, and told her that the van had caught on fire, and she looked inside and saw that there had been a fire in it." The van belonged to my brother's friend, but it was in his parent's name.  (There was mention of a van in Shondra's disappearance, but nothing came of it)

"My brother use to choke me too.  The last time was about 14 years ago.  D**** had seen police investigator, JR Blackburn's, vehicle in my grandmother's driveway, and he stopped, and wanted to know what his car had been doing there." 

"I told him, I had this guy I was dating investigated, but that he was cleared, and my brother was standing all cocky, and he said, "They are never going to find out what happened to her."  He  said it three or four times.   

I was making Lilly pads, and putting a white flower, with a yellow center, and a frog on the pads.  I needed something out of the kitchen, and my brother grabbed me, slammed me up against the wall, and he was choking me and saying,"They are never going to find out what happened to her.", and I and I said, "OK, OK,(brother's name), they are never going to find out.", and once I said that, he let me go."  

"Now I just believe he was the one that did it, says W****, and they said who ever killed her bit her, and that they had big teeth, and if you look at one of his high school pictures, you can see, he has big teeth."  

W****'s brother D****, agreed to a polygraph test, but when it came time to take the test, he requested a lawyer.

He was not the only suspect, and as time goes on, I will be giving more and more details on the case and the other suspects.

What would possess a 17 year old girl, to abandon her car in the middle of the night, and take only her drivers license, and leave her door ajar?

There was an arrest made around this time, in Meridian, Mississippi, of the nicknamed, "Blue-Light Killer", Larry Fisher, but it could not have been him, because he was in jail at the time.  However, a copy cat killer, or someone impersonating an officer could have pulled her over, prompting her to leave all of her belongings in her car, except for her Drivers License, which she would take to be called in by the officer.  


It would not have necessarily had to be a police officer, it could have been anyone with a red light or a blue light, and someone that age would likely pull over.

Since there did not appear to be, from what I have seen, any other footprints, it would suggest that she willingly walked from her car, and stepped into another.

If it was not someone impersonating an officer, what other reason could she possibly have for leaving her car with her license and stepping into another car?

Several possible scenario's come to mind.  The first is that someone she knew pulled up beside her, and she wanted to show them the card she bought for her boyfriend, which signifies friendship. (why else was the card not found?)  It would be unlikely it was her boyfriend, because it was not yet Valentines Day.

The second scenario that comes to mind is she was meeting someone, maybe going out to a club (I don't know at this point if her license had been altered), and it was possibly raining so she left the car door open.

However, the car door being left open probably signifies that she had ever intention of getting back into her car.

The possibility also exist that the license was simply in her back pocket, and that she may have written a check to pay for the card or stopped to get gas, and needed her ID for the purchase.   I often take only what I need to make a purchase, and will put my DL in my back pocket.

The most significant thing to me is the card.

Unfortunately,because the body was not properly handled at the crime scene, much valuable evidence could have been lost, but there is DNA evidence from one person, so there is hope.

Many people believe that there was a cover up in this crime, and it has been insinuated that the Sheriff who first investigated it, was corrupt, along with several other county officials.

The Baker Creek/Champion Hill location, in Bolton, is a very isolated area in Western Hinds county, outside of Jackson, Mississippi, and Shondra's body is not the only one that has been found there.

Law enforcement's profile of the killer, put him as being white, and possibly in his late 20's.

W****'s brother would have been in his early 20's, and is NOT the only suspect, and should be considered innocent until proven otherwise.   I am currently working on a profile of the others. Some have been cleared, or like her brother, there has simply not been enough evidence to charge them.


William Kenneth McLain, is not only a suspect in Shondra's case, but several others as well.  Two murders in Alabama and one in Mississippi.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT ALL SUSPECTS DESERVE THE BENEFIT OF A DOUBT, AND D**** IS NOT THE ONLY COMPELLING SUSPECT IN THIS CASE. 

 IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS CASE, PLEASE CONTACT THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT IN SCOTT COUNTY, AND OF COURSE, I WILL BE HAPPY TO SPEAK WITH YOU ALSO.

IF REQUESTED, ALL SOURCES OF INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.  I can be reached at 601-616-9409
Updates will be coming soon!

70 comments:

  1. Any idea's here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you from forest and did you know her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacy is last name of the woman that believes her brother was the one that did it. I'm not from Forest and never knew Shondra, just remember her story. So sad that a girl so young lost her life and no one ever found her killer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. who owned the property where she was found? heard the gaddis from forest did

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to know that someone is keeping this out there and I hope that one day it is solved..I believe this a case that could easily be solved if the right people were involved to work on it and not keep it closed..this case had to much evidence surrounding it and was improperly handled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad....I knew her and her brother and they were wonderful people. I know D**** too. He is an odd individual. It seemed for years that everytime I turned around he was there.....Carthage, Walnut Grove, Forest and even when I started working in Jxn I would see him all the time. It freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY AGREE that there were very corrupt individuals there during that time. I wasvery young when my papaw was killed in scott county and the investigation deemed his death to be a suicide but I dont believe that for a second and from what I remember he was shot and stabbed....in the back. The gun he was shot with was his gun that he loaned out to someone who did not want to return it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like someone to write about your dad you can email me at muddymississippijustice@gmaillcom or theprickofthepen@gmail.com phone 601-616-9409

      Delete
  8. I am so glad this is still being investigated. I have my theories as well to who did this because of the experiences I had. If there is DNA, why haven't they been able to arrest someone? I thought they said there was initial evidence of three males raping her. I will always believe law enforcement is responsible, especially two sheriff deputies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can contact me at 601-616-9409 or email at muddymississippijustice@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. I knew Shondra and her brother Tim. I worked with them for several months. They were two of the sweetest people I have ever known. I cannot see Shondra heading to a night club. She just didn't seem like that type of person. I do hope that someday, someone will pay for what they done to her. It is sad to know that so many years have passed, and nobody has been charged with the crime. Shondra didn't deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the card and bag the next day after Shondra disappeared and turned it over to the Sheriff's department. They claimed to have searched the car the night she disappeared, but did a poor job. The sheriff at that time latter told my husband that he was very, very close to solving the case, he knew who did it, but needed a little more evidence to make it stick, the next we knew the charges were brought against him and he was in prison. Scott county was very corrupt at that time, and it was not law enforcement!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back in 1986 there were several instances of women being abducted and raped after having their cars ran off the road or someone with flashing blue lights like a police car tricking them into stopping.

    Some creep in a light colored full-sized American pickup tried to run me off the Old Port Gibson road back in 1986, but my little Chevy had a bored-out engine and I would fly down the back roads of Claiborne County, MS to get away from him. Had a .44 magnum Ruger Black Hawk pistol (with armor piercing rounds as ammo) on my side just in case the creep actually ran me off the road.

    I called the Claiborne County Sheriff's office to report it after the third time and was told that having someone try to run you off the road is not a crime by the deputy that answered. Well, to me, it is a crime. Read in the paper or heard on the radio of a few women being ran off the road or pulled over by someone with a flashing blue light mimicking a police car. They were beaten and raped by the man who did it. These attacks happened in or around Warren county.

    Whoever murdered Shondra May cannot rest. Their soul won't let them. They can still hear her cries for mercy. You cannot take an innocent life and have peace of mind. If they are alive, they are being driven insane by their cruel actions towards that poor girl. I hope her killer is revealed one day, so the family can have peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My father was a Scott county deputy when this happened and I never heard the story about shondra until after he took his own life. My mother said that he didn't like to talk about the terrible things that had happened while he was a deputy. I can remember being very young and asking him why he had nightmares. He said he could see terrible people that he couldn't bring to justice in his dreams. When I heard the story I hurried home to ask my mother bc I had heard that ppl thought my father had something to do with this. My father was one of the two deputies mention in an earlier comment, by the way. My mother told me that there was no way he was involved bc they were on a week ling trail ride during that time and she knew his whereabouts during the rest of the time shondra was missing. My father WAS an outstanding citizen and had a big heart and it tears me apart that he can't defend himself against accusations brought against him. And if he did know something I guess that's between him and god to work out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he knew who killed her and it was eating him alive...

      Delete
    2. I would think if it was eating him alive and he was going to kill himself that he would have had no problem telling who.

      Delete
  13. http://www.facebook.com/dannycollier88?sk=wall#!/photo.php?fbid=156449434415927&set=t.759673896&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.facebook.com/elliotwestphal/posts/714165021031?ref=notif&notif_t=close_friend_activity#!/photo.php?fbid=300091996694209&set=t.759673896&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=300091996694209&set=t.759673896&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  16. D**** was familiar with the area that the body was found in. Also he had an infatuation with hog-tying people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kenny McClain killed her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Who is Kenny McClain?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who is Kenny McClain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also heard that Kenny did it. I also know that about 10 years ago the Scott County Sheriff's office was mailed a cassette tape with some information. They never acted on the information.

      Delete
  20. Has the DNA ever been tested? There have been so many developments in forensic science since the eighties. It seems that, even with the improper handling of the evidence, something could be gained from testing or re-testing it. I have always heard that law enforcement knew who the killer was and that there was some sort of a cover up because of family connections. Has anyone else heard about the connection with a bread truck being used for the kidnapping and a McDonald's uniform being found in the back? I am wondering how she would have been kept alive somewhere for seventeen days without anyone noticing her, or that the killer was absent from where he was supposed to be. Were the card and bag found in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember when this happened. I was working in Carthage, but occasionally had to go to a branch office in Forest. All of the women in the office there were convinced that one of the Scott Co. deputies did it and they had already been scared of him before Shondra disappeared. I don't know who did it, but I have always felt that the real murderer got away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that Willi-po M? I went thru McDonald's earlier that day to get a milkshake and Shondra was working the drive thru - she pointed across the parking lot where he was parked in his police/sheriff car and said he gives her the creeps - that he's always parking there, staring at her and had followed her on occasion.....the next day when I heard about her disappearance, I couldn't help but think of her remarks and him sitting in that car staring over at the drive thru the day before.....

      Delete
    2. Was the Willie McCurdy everyone keeps talking about a police officer?

      Delete
  22. I heard that DNA test has been done on 4 people recently? Anyone else heard that?? Praying something happens soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone knows, it's you.

      Delete
  23. Who is W**** and D****??? Who is the writer of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who the writer of this is, but W**** and D**** went to school with Shondra at LA. Best I can remember, they did not get along very well, going to blows one day in Mrs Howell's room. I think I remember that she blacked his eye in that fight, but 25+ yrs is a long time to remember.

      I always heard that a deputy was involved somehow.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking about this over lunch and I remembered another detail. I was friends w/W**** and I sat next to her in class later in the day on the day of the fight. A couple of us asked her what happened and I think I remember her tellng me (or maybe someone else that was sitting with us) that the reason she hit him was b/c he had choked her. Again, 25+ yrs is a long time, and I have no idea if this was before or after we found out about Shondra.

      Delete
  24. After reading the posted comment regarding the class room incident between W and the deceased victim, I am strongly curious if W has been brought in to the police dept. for questioning on Shondra's murder. A fight resulting one to get a blackeye not only painful, but also humiliating. Perhaps a motive for murder? Scott County authorities should question W of his whereabouts from the day of Shondra's disappearance to the exact day she was murdered. The May Family need answers. They deserve to have closure on this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Or perhaps question D about Shondra's death? The authorities should look into it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember when this happened so well. She was just a year older than me and it was all the whole county talked about for a year. I have a feeling they will eventually find her killer. I sure hope so. So sad

    ReplyDelete
  27. How about requestioning Willie McCurdy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is who I think did it or at least was involved. She told me that he would come to McDonald's and mess with her. She said he was creepy. I hope the killer will be found so that sweet girl's soul can finally rest in peace...

      Delete
    2. he messed with everyone in Forest back then. definitely capable of doing it. he's still around there. still weird

      Delete
  28. Someone went through great lengths to make it look like the crime was commited by the Blue-Light Killer. Putting not one, but two kids through private school in no doubt is extremely costly. It's to my understanding at the time of Shondra's death that her mother suffered from kidney failure. Did the family have full health coverage to cover Mrs. May's ongoing health issues? Did the authorities even question Richard May to see if there was a life insurance policy on Shondra? Consider requestioning her father once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      We were by no means rich but we were far from poor. My father had a very good paying job and it had full health insurance and yes my sister and I were both educated in a private schools as both of my children have been. My sister had a very meager life insurance policy that did not even cover the full expense of her funeral. My father was at work when Shondra was kidnapped and murdered. He was also questioned by investigators as well as other members of the family. He was also given a polygraph test. He had NOTHING to do with my sister’s murder and I resent the implications of such.

      Delete
    2. There are always people who think they know something, usually their facts are from gossip, for you my heart goes out to you, living with this horrible crime, there not being any justice for your sister.
      I was a teenager myself when this happened I remember people from carthage assisting in the search, the talk the fear as a young lady, I've never forgotten and had even wondered if there had ever been an arrest made, reading this only makes my heart heavy, their are some surely disturbed people in this world, just know that whoever did this horrible thing to her will pay for what they have done weither it be here or after they leave this life.

      Delete
  29. I STILL WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO D AND W IS. YALL DONT MIND SAYING WHO YOU THINK THE KILLER IS. SO WHY NOT SAY WHO D AND W ARE

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know both W and D. W is on medication for mental health issues and i have confirmed that with people not in the family. Not allowed around her mother because she beat her up last time for money. Unfortunately, misuse handling of evidence willnot allow foe some more Advanced testing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know W and D as well. W had a psychotic break years ago. She isn't allowed near her family. She accused D in retaliation after their parents banned her from visiting them. D is innocent, and I know this, because he and I worked together, and were at work that night. We were sitting at Jr Food Mart looking at hotrod magazines and eating lousy fried chicken when some of Shondra's friends came in with a picture asking if anyone had seen her. Don't know if Pizza Hut has timekeeping records that go that far back, but if so, it could be verified independently that he was at work. For those that know them, W and D have never gotten along very well, and anyone that knows the family knows how insane she really is.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Praying that the killer will one day be found. Hopefully it would give her brother some closure,but I know the pain will always be there. I worked in Forest at the time , and drove by her house twice a day. I never pass there without thinking of her. Hope her killer has not had a moment of peace!

    ReplyDelete
  33. They know you killed her just another poltical cover up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who not you sorry about that.

      Delete
  34. i was not yet born when this happened but ive always heard about shondras story its very sad just like a few comments say my family and i all believe willie mccurdy had something to do with it. ive had to be around willie and he also gives me the creeps

    ReplyDelete
  35. What sort of "psychotic break" did W. have? Could it have been triggered by the knowledge that her brother was involved with her friend's death? Even though I didn't live in MS at the time, I did also hear about the case and the possible suspects. Shondra deserves justice and remembrance. Don't forget her --- and keep digging for the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My brother was a investigator with the M.B.I., the night that happen we were in the wagon train for the Dixe National Rodeo. When we got home he was called to invesitgate he missing. This case haunted him till his death with a brain tumor several years later. There was one person that was thought to be the a prime suspect from Cophia Country that had a van and sold eggs in Scott County, also there was tape found in his van like that which was found on her body. He always said he tought who did this but couldn't prove it, and everyboby would be suprised if he could. I worked with the fireman that found her body. He took a lot of slack from other fireman. We worked with the Jackson F.D.. But you you are wrong about that he would have had a red light, there would be no need, for he was a full time fireman not one on a V.F.D.. I wish the case could be solved for the family and for my brother who worked so many hours on this case.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The tale you tell so poorly here is a total misrepresentation of facts. You are so very wrong. KM was NOT in jail at the time and was and still is the prime suspect. To even cast D as a suspect is ridiculous. Consider the source. W is psychotic and full of hate. You should be ashamed of yourself for publishing this garbage. Shondra was an innocent, sweet girl that fated a horrid death by the hand of a very deranged man (KM). Don't take the focus from the facts and her sweet memory with your garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who are W and D?

      Delete
    2. all I can do is write about what is told to me. If D is innocent, and I pray he is, he should have no problem taking a polygraph test. If he had someone that could prove where he was when she disappeared, then I would be happy to talk with him.

      Delete
  38. It was very sad she lost her life, and God and who ever did this knows what she went through.Hope they find out who did this ,tie them up and just throw em in the river.

    ReplyDelete
  39. They'll pay one way or the other ....if the law don't get them the good lord will

    ReplyDelete
  40. why wont anyone name the names of the brother and sister?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would like to see Shondra's case receive justice and feel that it is long overdue for her family. I don't personally know any of the family, but I feel they need to get resolution in this tragic crime. I feel that perhaps an outside source like the new crime series called 'Cold Justice' might be a source to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anyone with information they would like to share can contact me at 601-616-9409 Thank everyone for the comments, I want to look into Kenny, and believe him to be the most likely suspect. I'm glad someone knows the fireman is not involved, he was only mentioned because it was thought the killer drove some kind of official vehicle. I I can only tell what is told to me, and there are many aspects of this case that still need to be looked at. Hopefully will have an interview with Shondra's brother soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the fireman's name that found the body?

      Delete
  43. Anyone considered Karl Strahan? He was the man that kidnapped a 18 year old, and bound her, and raped her, and held her hostage in the trunk of her car, just 5 months after this incident, and apparently the tape that was used to bound her was poultry tape? Another similiarity if that is true, he worked at a chicken processing plant. Hes in prison and alive, maybe test his DNA? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Last night an Angel spoke to me,as I slumbered in my bed.She spread her wings and a light shone bright.I've come to help you she said.I have faith that Shondra's case will be solved

    ReplyDelete
  45. Do anyone know the race of the off duty fireman that found Shondra's body?

    ReplyDelete
  46. He was black but what does that matter

    ReplyDelete
  47. D gave a DNA sample almost a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Has anyone ever heard anything about a road block that happened on Hwy 35 (several years ago) between Walnut Grove and Forest where deputies found of bag on the side of the road. Inside the bag, they found some beer and pictures of Shondra May tied up. The bag appeared to have been set out of a vehicle incase they were searched at the road block. Probably rumors, but I heard this several years ago, but it was never in the paper.

    ReplyDelete